It is a well-known fact that prevention is your best defense in protecting your oral health. Regular professional dental cleanings with a trained hygienist are the foundation upon which we build a smile that is healthy and beautiful.
Dr. Matar and his professional team are dedicated to helping you achieve the highest level of oral health possible. We stress prevention because it is easier to accomplish the goal of great oral health by eliminating potential problems before they become serious and more complicated to treat.
Why Dental Cleanings Are Important
A professional dental cleaning at our Maitland dentist office is not just a routine treatment to get your teeth clean. Your dental cleaning also involves an oral exam where we:
- Screen for oral cancer
- Examine teeth to detect potential decay
- Check gums for signs of periodontal disease
- Evaluate your dental bite for signs of changes
This thorough assessment of your overall oral health is crucial because it allows us to detect and note any potential problems that may develop in the future. Regular dental cleanings and exams also allow us to develop an oral history for you that will assist us in your ongoing treatment.
What Happens During a Dental Cleaning?
Professional dental cleanings are important because they help prevent and eliminate conditions that lead to periodontal disease. During your dental exam, our dental hygienist will:
- Remove plaque: Plaque is a film that forms on your teeth as a result of the food and drink you consume on a daily basis. Removing plaque is important because it is a home for the bacteria that can eventually lead to gum disease. Brushing and flossing at home removes some plaque, but it is impossible for you to reach all the crevices where plaque collects.
- Remove tartar: Plaque that is allowed to remain on your teeth hardens into a substance called tartar, or calculus. Tartar is made up of mineral deposits that attach to the surface of the tooth. It is very important to remove these deposits because when left on teeth, they can lead to inflamed gums, persistent bad breath, and gum disease.
- Teeth polishing: The final step in your dental cleaning is to polish your teeth. This helps to remove surface stains and leaves your teeth feeling fresh and clean.
The American Dental Association recommends professional dental cleanings twice a year. The professional team at our Maitland dental office is very proactive in encouraging our patients to follow this routine. It is a simple and cost-effective treatment and an important step in helping to preserve your oral health.
Please contact our office today and speak to one of our staff about scheduling an appointment for your dental cleaning.